GHS begins probe into surge in COVID-19 cases

The Ghana Health Service has begun investigations into the recent surge in COVID-19 positive cases at the Kotoka International Airport.

Ghana recorded 75 positive cases on April 24 this year at the KIA, which is the highest number recorded in a day at the airport.

Though the number of daily cases continues to reduce, authorities say they are committed to finding the cause of the surge.

The Director of Port Health at the Kotoka International Airport, Dr. Lawrence Lartey, told Citi News the findings of the investigations will soon be made available.

“Investigations are still ongoing. There are various theories that have been postulated but investigations are ongoing and we are hoping that in the near future, the findings will be made available”

The Frontier Healthcare Services recently alerted the country’s health officials of a surge in the number of COVID-19 cases recorded at the airport.

The company said it recorded the highest daily number of positive COVID-19 cases at the airport on Saturday, April 24, 2021.

Prior to that, the highest number was on Wednesday, April 21, 2021.

Pressure Group, OccupyGhana subsequently in a statement called on government to restrict travel from and to countries with high case count.

The statement further called for the provision of incentives to hotels to accept passengers from high-risk countries for quarantine at their own expense.

“Provide incentives to hotels to accept passengers from high-risk countries for quarantine. Travellers must pay hotel quarantine bills in full, prior to travel,” it said.

The statement added: “Without exception, all travellers who test positive must be sent to a GHS-designated isolation facility as per our protocols for further clinical assessment and treatment. A negative PCR test must be repeated after Day 5. The passenger may be de-isolated following 2 negative tests.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button