Last Updated/Effective Date: February 12, 2021
1) Scope and Application
2) Collection of Information
The Thunder News GH and our service providers may collect the following information from and about you:
Registration Information is the information you submit to register for The Thunder News GH, for example, to create an account, post comments, receive a newsletter or enter a contest or sweepstakes. Registration Information may include, for example, name, email address, gender, zip code, household income, political views, and birthday.
Public Information and Posts consist of comments or content that you post to The Thunder News GH and the information about you that accompanies those posts or content, which may include a name, user name, comments, likes, status, profile information and picture. Public Information and Posts are always public, which means they are available to everyone and may be displayed in search results on external search engines.
Activity Information. When you access and interact with The Thunder GH Services, and its service providers may collect certain information about those visits. For example, to permit your connection to The Thunder GH Services, our servers receive and record information about your computer, device, and browser, including potentially your IP address, browser type, and other software or hardware information. If you access The Thunder News GH from a mobile or other devices, we may collect a unique device identifier assigned to that device, geolocation data (including your precise location), or other transactional information for that device.
Cookies and other tracking technologies (such as browser cookies, pixels, beacons, and local storage, including cookies) are comprised of small bits of data. Our websites, apps and other services send this data to your browser when you first request a web page and then store the data on your computer or other devices so the website or app can access information when you make subsequent requests for pages from that service. These technologies may also be used to collect and store information about your usage of The Thunder GH News such as pages you have visited, and the video and other content you have viewed.
Other parties that support The Thunder News GH by serving advertisements or providing services, such as allowing you to share content or tracking aggregate The Thunder GH News usage statistics, may also use these technologies to collect similar information when you use The Thunder News GH or other parties’ services. Those parties may also use these technologies, along with activity information they collect, to recognize you across the devices you use, such as a mobile device and a laptop or other computer. The Thunder News does not control these technologies and their use is governed by the privacy policies of parties using such technologies. For more information about third-party advertising networks and similar entities that use these technologies, including your choices concerning them, see the section entitled “To deliver relevant advertisements,” below.
Your browser may be initially set to accept cookies, but you can change your settings to notify you when a cookie is being set or updated, or to block cookies altogether. Please consult the “Help” section of your browser for more information. Users can manage the use of Flash technologies, with the Flash management tools available at Adobe’s website.
Please note that by blocking any or all cookies you may not have access to certain features, content or personalization available through The Thunder GH Services.
Information from Other Sources. We may supplement the information we collect with information from other sources, such as publicly available information about your online and offline activity from social media services, commercially available sources, and information from business partners.
3) Use and Disclosure
We may use the information we collect from and about you to provide The Thunder News GH and features to you, including: to measure and improve those The Thunder News GH and features and to develop new products and services; to improve your experience with both online and off-line, The Thunder News GH by delivering content you will find relevant and interesting, including advertising and marketing messages; to allow you to comment on content, and participate in online contests, other promotions, or rewards programs; to provide you with customer support and to respond to inquiries. To provide you with content and advertising that is more interesting and relevant to you, we may use the information from and about you to make inferences and predictions about your potential areas of interest. When the information collected from or about you does not identify you as a specific person, we may use that information for any purpose or share it with other parties, to the extent permitted by applicable law.
We use the information we collect from and about you for these additional purposes:
- To allow service providers to assist us in providing and managing The Thunder News GH. The information we collect from and about you may be made available to certain service providers, such as contractors, analytics and other measurement companies, agents or sponsors, who help us analyse and understand your use of The Thunder News GH, and manage and/or provide The Thunder News GH.
- To contact you. The Thunder News GH may periodically send promotional materials or notifications related to The Thunder News Service. If you want to stop receiving promotional materials, you can follow the unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of each email. There are certain service notification and other non-promotional emails that you may not opt-out of, such as notifications of changes to The Thunder News GH or policies.
- To share with business partners. The Thunder News GH may share your information with business partners to permit them to send you marketing communications consistent with your choices.
- To complete a merger or sale of assets. If The Thunder News GH sells all or part of its business or makes a sale or transfer of its assets or is otherwise involved in a merger or transfer of all or a material part of its business (including in connection with a bankruptcy or similar proceedings), The Thunder News GH may transfer your information to the party or parties involved in the transaction as part of that transaction.
The Thunder News GH uses commercially reasonable administrative, technical, personnel, and physical measures designed to safeguard information in its possession against loss, theft and unauthorized use, disclosure, or modification. However, no one can guarantee the complete safety of your information.
5) User Access and Control
If you would like to access, review, correct, update, suppress, delete, or otherwise limit our use of your personal information you have previously provided directly to us, you may contact us as outlined in Section 7, or using the mechanisms provided below. In your request, please include your email address, name, address, and telephone number and specify clearly what information you would like to access, change, update, suppress, or delete. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable and consistent with applicable law.
If you are under 18 and a registered user of The Thunder GH Services, you may ask us to remove content or information that you have posted to The Thunder News GH by writing to email@example.com. Please note that your request does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information, as, for example, some of your content may have been reposted by another user.
You may request that we not share your personal information on a going-forward basis with Thunder News GH Affiliates or unaffiliated third parties for their direct marketing purposes. You may opt-out of this sharing via thethundernewgh.com/contact. We will try to comply with your request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable and consistent with applicable law.
6) Other Important Information
Location of Data. The Thunder News GH are hosted in and managed from Ghana. If you are a user located outside Ghana, you understand and consent to have any personal information processed in Ghana or in any other country in which we have facilities or in which we engage service providers. Ghana and other countries’ data protection laws may not be the same as those in your jurisdiction. In certain circumstances, courts, law enforcement agencies, regulatory agencies or security authorities in Ghana may be entitled to access your personal information.
Besides, The Thunder News GH is not responsible for the privacy or data security practices of other organizations, such as Facebook, Twitter, Apple, Google, Microsoft or any other app developer, app provider, social media platform provider, operating system provider, wireless service provider, or device manufacturer, including in connection with any information you disclose to other organizations through or in connection with The Thunder News Services.
Remember that even after you cancel your account, or if you ask us to delete your personal information, copies of some information from your account may remain viewable in some circumstances where, for example, you have shared information with social media or other services. Because of the nature of caching technology, your account may not be instantly inaccessible to others. We may also retain backup information related to your account on our servers for some time after cancellation or your deletion request, for fraud detection or to comply with applicable law or our internal security or recordkeeping policies. It may not always be possible to completely remove or delete all of your information due to technical constraints or contractual, financial or legal requirements.
7) Contact Us
Fletcher Street, 202 Yiyiwah Drive
Sources of Personal Information. We collect this Personal Information directly from Accra residents themselves, as well as from social media platforms (e.g., if the individual has connected a social media account to The Thunder News GH Digital Property); joint marketing, co-branding, co-promotional, or advertising partners; and sources of demographic and other information. Depending on the individual’s interactions with us, The Thunder News GH may not have collected Personal Information from each of these categories of sources.
Purposes. We may use this Personal Information for the following purposes:
- to operate, manage, and maintain our business;
- to provide our products and services;
- to accomplish our business purposes and objectives, including:
- developing, improving, repairing, and maintaining our products and services;
- personalizing, advertising, and marketing our products and services;
- conducting research, analytics, and data analysis;
- maintaining our facilities and infrastructure;
- quality and safety assurance measures;
- conducting risk and security controls and monitoring;
- detecting and preventing fraud;
- performing identity verification;
- performing accounting, audit, and other internal functions;
- complying with the law, legal process, and internal policies;
- maintaining records; and
- exercising and defending legal claims.
Depending on the Accra resident’s interactions with us, The thunder News GH may not have used Personal Information collected about that resident for each of these purposes.
If you are a consumer, you have the following rights:
(1) Right to Know. You have the right to request that we disclose to you the following information:
- The categories of Personal Information we collected about you and the categories of sources from which we collected such Personal Information during the 12 months before your request;
- The specific pieces of Personal Information we collected about you during that period;
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting, disclosing, or selling Personal Information about you;
- The categories of Personal Information about you that we sold and the categories of third parties to whom we sold that Personal Information; and
- The categories of Personal Information about you that we otherwise shared or disclosed and the categories of third parties with whom we shared or disclosed that Personal Information.
(2) Right to Request Deletion. You have the right to request that we delete Personal Information we collected from you.
To request deletion, please click here or call us at +233 55 780 7576. You will need to provide your name and email address, along with other details about your request. You will then receive verification instructions by email. For certain requests, you will be asked to authenticate to your account as part of the verification process, if you have an account/profile with us. But you do not need to have an account/profile to submit a request. Please note that you also will be asked to separately confirm that you would like to proceed with your deletion request. In some circumstances, we may need additional information from you to verify your identity or proceed with your request.
You can use an authorized agent to submit a deletion request. When submitting a request online, your authorized agent should select the “Other” option on the form and, in the field provided, including your name, your email address, and whether or not you have an account/profile with us. In addition to verifying your identity, as described above, we also will need to verify your authorized agent’s ability to act on your behalf (e.g., by receiving a copy of your signed permission). Once verification is complete, we may communicate directly with you for privacy and security reasons.
Please note that, in some instances, we may decline to honour your request where, for example, we are unable to verify your identity or an exception to this right applies.
(3) Right to Opt-Out of Sale. As noted above in this section, we share some categories of Personal Information in connection with certain types of advertisements. You can visit our “Do Not Sell My Personal Information” Internet Webpage For mobile and connected TV apps, please visit the Do Not Sell My Information section in Account/Settings for more information and to exercise your choices. Because interest-based advertising relies on cookies and other similar technologies, opting out needs to be controlled at the device and/or browser level.
(4) Right to be Free from Discrimination. You have the right to be free from unlawful discrimination for exercising your rights under the laws of Ghana.